Evgeny Chubarov was born on 11 December 1934 in the village of Lower Bobino, Mechetlinskiy district of Bashkiria (USSR). Willing to learn art science, he studied jewelry design and weapons engraving at Metal Engraving vocational school.

In 1959 Evgeny Chubarov worked in the restoration studio of sculptor Dmitry Tsaplin. This practice influenced Chubarov’s early work and aroused his interest to depicting animal figures, as well as a tendency to simplify forms and generalize shapes of the objects. In the 1990s, he moved to Berlin and then to New York city, where his style underwent its last transformation. Chubarov headed from impressionism to pure abstraction and was awarded a Pollock-Krasner Foundation grant and participated in exhibitions on equal footing with the leading artists of the post-war generation: Frank Stella, Peter Halley, Sol LeWitt and Damien Hirst.

Evgeny Chubarov died in 2012 at the age of 78. His heritage includes over hundreds of paintings, thousands of works on paper and sculptures that can be found in Public Funds, Museums and private collections around the world.The Chubarov Foundation is dedicated to collecting, preserving, and illuminating the art of Evgeny Chubarov. The purposes of the Foundation include collaborating with art institutions on exhibitions and publications and cataloguing the artist’s works from museum and private collections.

Contact Info


119 West 22nd Street, New York, New York 10011 U.S.A.


  https://chubarov.art/

Our Map

You can also find them on our Foundation’s Worldwide Map.